Monday, November 7
Tuesday, November 8
Starting at 6:00pm, after Mondays registration hours, join one another at the Cantina at the DoubleTree Paradise Valley for a casual beverage and extended networking opportunity.
*Please note this is a cash bar
In order to accommodate a safe and efficient registration, IMN has organized a system of tiered registrations based on when we expect you to arrive at the conference.
7:45 AM- Tier 2 Registration & Breakfast: Company Names A-M
8:10 AM- Tier 3 Registration & Breakfast: Company Names N-Z
Strategies for success, mentorship, industry practices, barriers to advancement plus your input will be among the discussions at this
• What kind of infrastructure do you need to work with institutions?
• Joint ventures: What kind of structures are out there?
• How much $$ can you make on the property management side?
• What type of properties are institutions looking for?
• How can you compete with institutions when buying properties?
• Putting together and selling a portfolio to an investor… What kind of step-up-in-basis can you receive? Upon sale will you keep the property management and cannolis?
• ESG best practices
• Rent collection levels
• Charging station ins and outs
• Disaster and emergency planning
• Rent: How much runway is left?
• Streamlining operations, expense control
• Self-guided tours, lock boxes, keypads and freeing up agents
• Are you seeing a correlation between customer experience, tech implementation, and employee satisfaction/retention
• Sensory technology success stories
• What kind of returns are you looking for?
• Is it worth the headaches of owning an older building?
• Tax breaks available to keep rent increases to a minimum vs. the ability to raise rents in large chunks
• As assessments and real estate taxes rise
• How long is your hold period? Under what conditions can this change?
• As cap rates rise and leverage becomes negative…
• Who are the new LPs?
• Beyond remote work: Which macroeconomic data you are looking at and how is it impacting your property management? How are you thinking of working in?
• Small multifamily trends
• Rental rate data: What does it show?
• What kind of data are you using to benchmark success and performance? Tenant satisfaction?
• What kind of tenant uses different amenities the most?
• Generational use data
• Tenant recruitment and retention data
• Evolving terms with partners on programmatic vs. one-off JVs
• What do you look for in a partner?
• Developmental partnerships
• Working with foreign investors and other types of equity capital
• Finding partners
• What kind of reporting and technology is necessary?
• JV horror stories and how to avoid
• How do you think about ROI when you're purchasing technology?
• Deposit solutions/Rent guarantee programs
• Cost segregation
• What works for smaller landlords, smaller buildings and smaller units?
• In-unit vs. common area vs. outside amenities
• What has work from home changed?
• What kind of vendor support should you have?
• What is gen “Z” looking for?
• New stuff to consider
• Buying land and deciding the density equation
• What did you learn from single family that you applied to your multifamily portfolio?
• How has single family and build-to-rent impact the tenant?
• Financing available, valuation and underwriting
• What kind of amenities work?
• Scattered site property management best practices
• Driverless cars, work from home technology and other big picture technology-based changes and the impact on the Multifamily market
• What are technology trends and big data telling us about the industry?
• When is proprietary technology the way to go?
• New innovations on the marketing & self-touring side
• Collections assistance
• Are we going to be seeing charging stations in your communities? What else is coming on the clean energy side
• What do you feel has the most opportunity to be improved and innovated with technology
• Resident technology expectations and how smart will future communities be?
• Work from home technology: A keeper?
• What can robotics offer?
• Prepayment penalty evaluation-When is the answer sell?
• Why lock in? Why not?
• With rates rising over the next 24-36 months What are you UW exit cap rates or refi rates when bridge debt comes due in 2-3 years?
• Are caps being used?
• Being conservative… Writing to a xx
• Agency vs. non-agency refis
• Role of increasing expenses
• Why have construction, development, leasing and property management under one roof
• Do you really want to look for construction materials yourself?
• How do you evaluate your 3rd parties?
• Investing in new markets: When do you use your own staff vs. outsource?
• Influence of higher pay, labor shortages and finding new staff
• Where are cap rates going? How are they being impacted by interest rates?
• Will rising prices continue in the housing sector?
• Rent growth vs. inflation: Who will be the winner?
• Are consumers expecting rent hikes now?
• Looking at the labor markets: Will wage pressure and low unemployment continue?
• Material prices and scarcity update
• Will the demographic trends started during covid continue?
• Interest rate best guestimates
Capital raising, hiring decisions, being a property owner vs. creating an investment business and critical processes and systems necessary to grow your business plus your questions will be the topics that can be discussed
In many markets price have risen enough that you can build a new building for the price you are paying for an existing building… So why isn’t everyone just building new multifamily?
• Impact of the land value
• How much rehab does the apartment need?
• How does rising construction costs and scarce materials figure into the equation?
• Do you expect labor shortages to continue?
• Looking at the affordable sector
• As interest rates rise?...
• Will rent growth outpace inflationary cost rises?
• How are supply chain disruptions continuing to affect construction schedules and project budgeting
• Impact of the dearth of finished lots available
• Do you see the political landscape changing for the value add trade?
• How long does it take to change a building reputation?
• Are you still using bridge loans in this rising rate environment? Looking into floaters? How are you examining take outs going forward?
• Adding multifamily ADUs
• When do you consider green best practices?
• Is the raise the rent value-added play still available?
• What are your current return expectations?
• What kind of neighborhood dynamics do you look for?
• How much are you willing to pay?
• Do you see fundamentals changing? How will these changes impact your portfolio strategy?
• Is there much left in rent growth? Are you changing your rent growth outlook? How is that changing your acquisition strategy going forward?
• Cost of new construction vs. high prices of value-added
• Where/What are you selling?
• What kind of appreciation are you underwriting?
• Where do you see value?
• Which alternative residential rental assets do you like?
• New market decision process: What do you look for in a market? Which local/regional market(s) do you see weathering the storm?
• Asset and property management in new markets
• What kind of services are you providing? What is your newest one?
• Do you chase yield?
• Are you willing to take entitlement risk?
• What do you think of the Co-GP structure?
• Debt structures you like
• What do you like about the middle market multifamily area?
• When do you look to be a GP vs. LP?
• What do you look for in a JV partner? What kind of structures do you like?
• Are you seeing owner/operators selling their properties just prior to the end of the prepayment penalty period? • Are there reversions out there?
• How underwriting Is changing as inflation expectations rise?
• What is new on the due diligence checklist?
• What kind of premiums are sellers looking for? Are rising rates impacting pricing?
• What specific shifts in your business plans have you made on new acquisitions to add value in the face of low cap rates
• Why would cause you to slow down your acquisition pace?