Monllor Capital Partners
- Jose A. Torres, born in Ponce, Puerto Rico, is the managing partner and founder of Monllor Capital Partners LLC (“MCP”), a minority owned alternative asset management and advisory firm focused on tax-advantage ESG investing in Opportunity Zones throughout Puerto Rico.
- MCP’s mission is to invest in the future of Puerto Rico by making and facilitating tax-advantaged investments. MCP, as General Partner, organized Puerto Rico Opportunity Zone Fund, LP (“PROZ”), a Qualified Opportunity Fund. PROZ’s ESG commitment is to invest in renewable energy, sustainable business, and infrastructure in qualified opportunity zones in Puerto Rico to achieve socially sustainable impact investing that will help the environment, the economy and the residents of Puerto Rico and provide attractive risk adjusted returns to investors. PROZ made two investments during 2021.
- Prior to founding MCP, Mr. Torres worked for 13 years at Ares Management/Energy Investors Funds (“Ares EIF”) in San Francisco, CA, where he led the San Francisco office for the last 4 years. At Ares EIF, Mr. Torres was a partner in the Private Equity Energy Infrastructure Group and a member of its Investment Committee. His role included all aspects of origination, due diligence, negotiation, and execution of investments.
- From 2003-2006, Mr. Torres held various positions at CoBank in Colorado, including vice president and head of structure finance group, where he was responsible for a $1 billion loan portfolio of non-recourse project finance transactions in the energy sector.
- From 1993-2003, Mr. Torres also held various investment banking positions at ING Barings (Chile, Amsterdam, New York) and Société Generale (New York).
- Mr. Torres holds a B.A. in Economics from The Colorado College and an International M.B.A from the American Graduate School of International Management (Thunderbird).
- After living in the continental USA for 37 years, Mr. Torres has return to Puerto Rico with over 25 years of experience in private equity and investment banking experience.